Do you ever have those cravings that you just can't shake? The other night I had a hankering for Chinese Orange Chicken. You know, that thick battered, super sweet, clog your artery kind of dish?
Yup, that's what I was craving but then I thought of all the beach-bods here in Southern California and how they surely wouldn't be caught dead shoveling that sort of dish in their mouths came to mind. Light-bulb! What if I came up with a healthier, non-fried, non-artery clogging version?? Well, if you're thinking "OMG I HOPE SHE DID"... you're in luck! Scroll down and don't miss the recipe for Coconut Rice at the bottom!
- 1-2 lbs. chicken breast, chopped
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 c low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 c orange marmalade
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- splash of orange juice
- stir-fry vegetables
- In a large saute pan, heat coconut oil over a medium flame. Add chicken and a pinch of salt. Cook chicken through.
- In a small sauce pan, combine soy sauce, marmalade, brown sugar and orange juice. Whisk together and simmer. Add to chicken and reduce flame. Simmer for 15-20 minutes to allow the sauce to reduce.
- At this time, you can start working on your rice and steam up your stir-fry vegetables.
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup instant rice
- 2 tbsp toasted coconut
- sea salt, to taste
Bring coconut milk to a boil, add rice and coconut, remove from heat and cover for 5-7 minutes until the liquid is absorbed. Add a bit of salt to taste.
In a shallow bowl, pile up coconut rice, place the veggies next and spoon your Orange Chicken mixture on top. Serve with chopsticks. Enjoy!
Don’t Forget to Get Social!